Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thing 21 - Wikis

I enjoyed watching the Common Craft video on Wikis, I felt that it was informative and a useful demonstration on the basic workings of Wikis. While I had a general idea about Wikis, like many people, I was previously mostly familar with Wikipedia. Although I knew Wikipedia was wildly unreliable, I never truly understood exactly how wikis work to put together why they are unreliable.I feel much more comfortable with the ideas behind wikis now. After learning about wikis in the video and the Thing 21 discussion, I went to the wiki for area restaurants that was created for us to practice on. Since most library employees had already completed this project, I found most of the restaurants around here to be already listed. I have only actually been to two of them so far, as I don't live in Frisco and am a pretty new employee. I went to the wiki page for one that I have been to, Icehouse Grill, and decided to update the information on that page to include a link to the website. I found the website, copied the link, then selected edit on that page in the Wiki. I then pasted the link there, and chose to save it. When I reviewed the page, the information I added was right there. I found  the experience to be very easy and user friendly, especially after the brief video tutorial. I have not used wikis before (creating or editing) but I am glad to know how it's done and may find it useful in the future. I don't have a specific example right now of how it might be used in the library (other than the Youth Services wiki that already exists) however I am glad to know how to create them, as it may be useful in instructing patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment