Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thing 18 - YouTube

For Thing 18, I learned about YouTube. Of course, I've seen YouTube videos before, but I definitely didn't know all the details about it, such as the EDU channel. I watched some of the Librarian videos on YouTube as part of this exercise. The Adventures of Super Librarian and Super Librarian were definitely funny although I liked that it had a good message underneath. A Librarian's 2.0 Manifesto was more along the lines of being thought provoking. On the Allen County Public Library Channel, I watched part of a video that appeared to be an interview with a children's author. I don't feel that video was well introduced or explained; after a couple minutes of being confused about what I was watching and what the point was, I exited that video. I can see how items like that could be useful, but I guess that is maybe one of the problems with YouTube - nothing's cataloged, and everything's just all jumbled up together. I realized at that point that the Allen County Public Library had multiple videos listed underneath to chose from, I didn't have to watch that particular one, but when you click the link to go to their YouTube, it automatically queues up the the most recent one. Libraries could definitely use items like this to their advantage: online storytimes, advertisements for programming, how to guides and much more could all be put on YouTube by a library, but then of course they would need to also promote these for them to be of value.

No comments:

Post a Comment