Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thing 12 - Facebook

I already have an active Facebook account, complete with profile, photos and lots of friends. I don't log into my Facebook account very regularly, it's more of something I look at on occasion when I'm bored, to see what my friends and family are up to. I do have several friends and acquaintances who use their Facebook account religiously, almost like Twitter they update their Facebook every time they go somewhere or do something, or even think about something. As far as organizations "humanizing" their Facebook pages, I think some do it very well and others don't do it at all. For example, a coffeeshop I once worked at in college is fantastic at humanizing their FB page. At least once a day there's a status update from them with some tidbit of information, sometimes it's the coffee blend of the day, other times it's about a new treat or piece of merchandise they're stocking, and sometime's they use it to advertise specials. I live 600 miles away from this coffeeshop now, but I know what's going on there as if I stopped in for a daily cup of joe. On the opposite side of that is the SLIS department at UNT. I've belonged to their FB group for well over a year, and I can't tell you when, if ever, I have ever seen a status update from them. I think it could be used much more purposefully than it currently is, even with mundane things like reminders about school deadlines, updates on social events, and advertisements on new class offerings in the upcoming semesters. I think the FPL FB page could be used in a similar fashion, to advertise upcoming events and programs, to post information about new books that have just been stocked, to give early literacy tips for kids, and much more. The article about humanizing FB pages really stresses that it's important to post lots status updates and I think this is something that could easily be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment