Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thing 16 - Google Docs

I have already used Google Docs, but only very recently. When I started with the FPL a few weeks ago, I setup a google account and was added to the shared list for a document we use for scheduling purposes. However, this was my first experience with Google Docs, and I haven't done anything else besides log in and view this one shared document. Today, as part of thing 16, I logged into Google docs and explored. I created a new document, and found the functionality to be very similar to Microsoft Word. Some of the options are more limited than working directly within Word, however most of the basics can be accomplished here. Additionally, what makes this really useful is the ability to publish and share documents. The whole idea of cloud computing really comes to life with Google docs and makes it a reality for anyone that wants it. I can't imagine why it isn't used more often, and I'm surprised that I haven't encountered its use before in previous positions at other companies. It seems like an excellent solution that would benefit almost any organization or company, as well as individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment