Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thing 5 - Twitter

For thing 5, I set up an account with Twitter. I have previously steered clear of tweeting simply because I didn't see the point. However, after watching a couple of videos on Twitter and how it can be used for news updates as well as business functionality I do see how it could be useful for some people. Trying to think of how it could be useful to libraries is a bit more of a stretch for me. I do see that library users may want or need to use Twitter. As far as the library itself tweeting, I guess it could be a handy tool for sending out updates regarding news and events at the library. It would first be necessary to establish a "fan" base to receive these tweets that a library sends out. However, as a part of this exercise, I did find the FPL on Twitter and became a follower. I'll admit I was surprised to see that there were 101 followers, and so it does seem that there is a genuine use/need for the library to have a Twitter account. Despite my misgivings that Twitter is not very popular or useful, I did like reading the history of the FPL's past tweets and while I may not be a total convert, I'm willing to continue to follow it on Twitter and perhaps I'll continue to be surprised by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment