Saturday, March 5, 2011

Thing 23 - Reflection

  • What do you think about social media in libraries?

  • What do you wish FPL was (or wasn’t) doing? 

  • Have you learned anything from the program? 

  • If so, what?

  • If not, what could we do better?


  • I am glad to be finished with this exercise, although I definitely feel that a lot of what I learned is useful and very possibly applicable to future questions I may get. I think social media very definitely has a place in libraries, because it has a place in the life of our patrons...in order to stay relevant we need to meet the patrons on their level. I listened to some cool podcasts as one of the "things" and I thought some libraries did an excellent job at that. I don't believe FPL currently does anything like that, and it may be for a good reason, such as no one was interested in listening to them. However, it would be something interesting to explore. I learned a lot from the program, mostly by gaining an understanding of the how's and why's behind a lot of the current internet technology. I like feeling well-educated on things like wikis and rss feeds, even if I don't plan to use them personally. And I think LibraryThing is something I will definitely use in the future, at least on occasion. It's great to know all of these things are out there, because it's hard to predict if/when I may need them.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment